Knee pain can affect your mobility and thereby your quality of life.
Ideally, you should see the best orthopedic doctor in Kolkata and get treated by them. They can help make a proper diagnosis and create a treatment plan that’s the best fit for your case.
However, if you’re looking for home remedies for knee pain, here are some of them:
- Rest and ice the affected area: Resting the knee and applying ice to the affected area can help reduce swelling and pain. Ice the knee for 15-20 minutes at a time, several times a day.
- Use over-the-counter pain medication: Over-the-counter pain medication, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, can help relieve pain and reduce swelling. Follow the instructions on the label and do not take more than the recommended dose.
- Keep the knee elevated: Keeping the knee elevated above heart level can help reduce swelling. Try lying on the couch with a pillow under your knee, or try sitting in a recliner chair with your leg elevated.
- Use knee support: A knee support, such as a knee brace or bandage, can help provide stability to the knee and protect it from further injury. Make sure the support fits appropriately and is not too tight, as this can cause additional pain.
- Try physical therapy: A physical therapist can help you develop a plan to improve knee strength and flexibility, which can help reduce knee pain. They can also teach you exercises and stretches that can help relieve knee pain.
- Try stretching and strengthening exercises: Regular stretching and strengthening exercises can help improve flexibility, reduce pain, and increase strength in the knee. Examples of activities that can help include leg lifts, straight leg raises, and quadriceps sets.
- Use a heating pad or hot water bottle: Applying heat to the affected area can help relax the muscles and reduce pain. Use a heating pad on a low or medium setting, or try using a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Avoid applying heat for more than 20 minutes at a time.
- Massage the knee: Gently massaging the knee can help improve circulation and reduce stiffness and pain. Use slow, circular motions with your fingertips to massage the affected area.
- Try over-the-counter topical creams: Topical creams, such as capsaicin cream, can be applied directly to the skin to help reduce pain. Follow the instructions on the label and use at most the recommended amount.
- Take a warm bath or shower: Soaking in a warm bath or taking a warm shower can help relax the muscles and reduce knee pain. Make sure the water is not too hot, as this can cause additional swelling.
- Use essential oils: Some essential oils, such as peppermint oil or lavender oil, can help reduce pain and inflammation. Mix a few drops of the essential oil with carrier oil, such as coconut oil, and apply it to the affected area.
- Wear comfortable shoes: Wearing shoes that provide adequate support and cushioning can help reduce stress on the knees. Avoid wearing high heels or shoes with thin soles.
- Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep can help the body repair and heal itself, which can help reduce knee pain. Sleep for 7-9 hours every night.
- Avoid activities that put a strain on the knee: Avoid activities that put excessive strain on the knee, such as running or jumping. If an activity causes pain, stop doing it and try a lower-impact alternative.
- Try herbal remedies: Some herbs, such as ginger or turmeric, can have anti-inflammatory effects and may help reduce knee pain. Consult with a healthcare professional before taking any herbal remedies.
If your knee pain is persistent and/or worsening, talk to your doctor. In some severe cases, you may be referred to the best knee replacement surgeon in Kolkata. But knee replacement surgery is the last resort when other treatment options have failed. So, discuss with your doctor the severity of your case and different treatment options.